Types of Car Seats:
Infant Carrier: a car seat that you can use until your kid is about 25lbs and can be strapped into most strollers. Depending on your baby and the infant carrier, these can last from 6 months to two years.
Convertible Car Seat: a car seat that can usually go from 5lbs to 60lbs and can switch from rear-facing to forward-facing.
Booster Seat: a car seat for kids from at about 30-40lbs and can use the regular seat belt. Currently, the laws on children is that they remain in a car seat until they are 4’9″.
1. You can totally just have one (convertible) car seat until your kid is 60lbs. You don’t NEED an infant carrier.
2. An infant carrier is helpful in that you can pop it onto a stroller if your infant is sleeping, but note after a few months, they get pretty heavy in there.
3. Most convertible car seats are an eyesore and they take up tons of room. I’m having a hard time getting over it, I won’t judge you if you are too.
4. They can one day save your baby’s life… This is helping me get over it (see #3).
6. Make sure you look around online for coupons and deals when you’re about to buy a car seat. Simply typing “britax coupon code” online can save you at least 20%.
7. Babies R Us is having a car seat trade where you bring in your old car seat and you can buy a new one for 25% off! They also regularly have coupons online, so make sure you search!
8. While your little person is rear facing, get a big mirror. It’s totally worth it. The more spastic the mirror, the better. They don’t like being back there by themselves.
9. Car seats are like rocket science to install. You can have your car seat installation inspected, by searching here. And also, most firestations and police departments will do it as well. Check with your local station to make sure.
10. Get a sun shade. It keeps your baby from getting so much sun and getting way too hot!
Also, did you know it was National Child Passenger Safetey Week!
p.s. for anyone wondering, I looked at two babies r us stores to find the cow print Britax, but I couldn’t find it. So I went with a different kind of Britax, but we wanted the cow print one. If you can’t beat them, join them!